LL-L: "Creatures & plants" (was "Historical phonology") LOWLANDS-L, 05.MAY.2000 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 5 23:52:17 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAY.2000 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk]
Subject: "Historical phonology"

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Names

> Words for lots of apparently ordinary creatures and objects get borrowed.
> Think for example of the English name _dandelion_ from Old French
> _dent-de-lion_ (< Latin _dens leonis_ 'lion's tooth') for a
> flower that has
> been growing in profusion in the British Isles since before
> contacts with the Normans.

Yes, there's a huge discrepancy between traditional zoological and botanical
usage in minority languages (such as Scots - or perhaps in the example
above, Old English) which are generally messy, and the sort of thing we find
in languages (such as modern English) in which classification work has been
carried out by zoologists and botanists to the point where there is almost a
one-to-one correspondence between names for species and the species
themselves.

In Scots zoology, for example, a frog or toad is a "puddock" - no
distinction is made. Could it be that "wasp" was borrowed into languages
that didn't make a distinction between wasps and bees, from those languages
that did make the distinction?

A study of Scots ornithology can also be enlightening - the recent
publication "A Guide to Scots Bird Names" (by Robin Jackson & David
Mitchell, Ptarmigan Press 1997, ISBN 1 872054 40 4) the same name is used
for many species of bird, and conversely, many species have many different
names.

In Scots, a "gowan", often glossed as "daisy", is really any small yellow or
white flower that stands out brightly from a grassy background - there seems
to be no traditional concept of botanical species as we know it, just a
matter of making whatever distinctions serve everyday purposes best. After
that, qualification can be used for finer distinctions - a dandelion is
sometimes called a "witch gowan" in Scots, for example. As children we
invariably called a dandelion a "pee-the-bed" in Scots, strangely
synchronising with the modern French "pisenlit".

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk

>Words for lots of apparently ordinary creatures and objects get borrowed.
>Think for example of the English name _dandelion_ from Old French
>_dent-de-lion_ (< Latin _dens leonis_ 'lion's tooth') for a flower that has
>been growing in profusion in the British Isles since before contacts with the
>Normans.

Euphemism? In Scots this is known as Pish-the-Bed - with similar forms in
colloquial English - because of its diuretic properties.

John M. Tait.