LL-L: "Loanwords" (was "Romance connection") LOWLANDS-L, 10.MAY.2000 (02) [D/E/French/Spanish]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 20:14:34 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAY.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachean, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian,
L=Limburgish

From: Roger Thijs [Roger.Thijs at village.uunet.be]
Subject: Romance connections

1. Refering to wasp:

Apparently the w-g transformation is not done in all romance varieties of
French.
Below an except from a discussion in the picard language list "achteure"
about wether or not one should translate words as "internet" into picard:

--- quote
From: Alain Dawson <dawson at netcourrier.com>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 18:25:09 +0200
Sur le "Intarnète" lui-même, en ce qui me concerne, je préfère le jeu de
mot "wèpe" qui est un mot picard signifiant "guèpe" ainsi qu'une adaptation
phonétique de "web".
-- endquote

2. Ulrix in "De Germaansche elementen in de Romaansche talen" Gent, 1907,
lists 2520 germanic words that entered into romance languages or varieties.

quote (I cannot quote correctly some accents, as e.g. some vowel subscripts)

nr 2421: Mhd _we,spe_, wesp; daarvan, volgens Horning, Zs. rom. Phil. 18,
230, Oostfr. _wes_, wesp. Het Mhd _we,spe_ heeft ook zijnen invloed
uitgeoefend op de vorming (uit Lat. vespa) van 't Fr. _guêpe_, Ital. Cat.
Prov. _vespa_, enz., vgl. Dz 606 _guêpe_; Kluge s.v. _Wespe_. Zoo vindt men
ook de inwerking van Ohd. _wipera_ op de vorming (uit. Lat. _vipera_) v.
Ofr. _guivre_, sepent, en van Ohd. _wiz_, wisch op de vorming (uit Lat.
_viscum_) van Fr. _gui_, marentak.

comments: some abbreviations
Oostfr. Oostfransch
Dz: Diez, Etymologisches Wörterbuch der romanischen Sprachen, 5. Ausgabe, 1887

3. I have a question too: has the 8-based counting system (in combination
by the 20-base) a celtic-gallic origin?

e.g. in walloon dialect from Liège, Belgium:
ût-nouf (eight-nine for seventien)
(Li walon d'Lidge sins mao d'tiesse, 3e éd., 1976)

Regards,
Roger

----------

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at iee.org]
Subject: LL-L: "Romance connection" LOWLANDS-L, 05.MAY.2000 (09) [E]

At 16:54 05/05/00 -0700, Sandy fleming wrote:

>We were told at school that this was from "garde à l'eau", which might
>explain better the frequency of the usage - every time someone used the
>"chanty", to be precise!

While we're on the subject, does anyone have any idea of the etymology
of the Scots "chanty" (chamber-pot)? The Concise Scots Dictionary gives
it as "unknown".

However, a good number of years ago I remember browsing through a
cookery book published in India. The measures were not always given
in familiar units of weight, but in other ways too. I remember that
pulses were sometimes measured with something called a "chuntu" which
I took to be a kind of vessel or container.

Remembering other words which have passed into Scots, such as
"mulligatawny" and "peely-wally", from India's time as part of
the British Empire, I couldn't help wondering whether "chanty"
originated in the same way.

So, does anyone out there know whether the Scots "chanty" does
derive from the Hindustani "chuntu"?

Colin Wilson.

************ http://www.btinternet.com/~lcwilson/colin.htm ***********

                               the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
Colin Wilson                   the barra wadna row its lane
writin fae Glesca              an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
                               lik the muckin o Geordie's byre