SUBMISSION: "Special expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 24.MAY.2000 (01) [E]

Ian James Parsley parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk
Wed May 24 23:59:57 UTC 2000

Tom,

I must say I wonder what was wrong with those British soldiers (!) - 'cark
it' is a very common slang term in England meaning 'die' (as in 'the old
bloke carked it last week'), and although I've an idea it's more common in
the north of England than the south, it's certainly used by the younger
generation even today. It is not, however, found in Northern Ireland to my
knowledge. I suppose it is not impossible that it has been re-established in
England via Australian soap operas, but that would be unusual (the English
would have plenty of uses for 'larrikin' but never adopted it!!)

Best,