LL-L: "Special expressions" LOWLANDS-L, 25.MAY.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 14:47:36 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.MAY.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Special expressions

Ron

You obviously haven't watched enough bad "B" movies. It's croak or be
croaked all the time in them.

The following observation was triggered by the discussion on Morphophonology
but it's really about meaning.

I am uncomfortable with the modern phrase "to grow a business". I prefer "to
make a business grow". "Grow" is both transitive and intransitive but it
seems to me that in its traditional transitive use it does not have the
sense of "make bigger". This contrasts with the intransitive use. Of course,
one can say "He grew a foot" which is nominally transitive but actually
intransitive (unless he's a lizard) because "a foot" has adverbial force.

Does anybody know how widespread the pronunciation "growen" for "grown" is?
Any ideas about regions or sociolects? The only examples I can immediately
bring to mind are upper-middle-class British English.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk