LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 01.NOV.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 01:31:16 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ian James Parsley <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Ron,

I think I'm right in saying 'New Zealand' was named
after the Dutch 'Zealand'. Dutch explorers were the
first to arrive in the area - I think I'm right in
saying 'Tasman' (as in 'Tasmania') was Dutch.

But I could be wrong...
------------
Ian James Parsley

=====
------------------
Ian James Parsley
www.geocities.com/parsleyij
+44 (0)772 095 1736
JOY - "Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: Helge Tietz [helgetietz at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 01.NOV.2000 (01) [E]

New Zealand is definitely named after the Dutch
province of Zeeland, I think it was Abel Tasman, the
Dutch Explorer, who named "Aotearoa" New Zealand, no
Danish influence was at hand in New Zealand except
from the village "Dannevirke" on the North Island
which was founded by Scandinavian settlers.

----------

From: Georg.Deutsch at esa.int
Subject: LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 01.NOV.2000 (02) [E]

Georg Deutsch at ESA
11/01/2000 17:30

Marco Evenhuis wrote:
"... Tasman got his own little island, Tasmania."

If I am correctly informed, Tasman got his island only long after his death,
because in first place - for quite a long time, I thought, Tasmania was
called "Van Diemen Land".
Maybe this goes too far off LL-issues, still I would like  to know: does
anybody know, why, when and by whom the name has been changed?

regards
Georg Deutsch

----------

From: y-waki at pf6.so-net.ne.jp

Dear Mr. R. F. Hahn,
I found on a site of New Zeland's history that a Dutch explorer named Abel
Tasman today's New Zealand in 1642 and named it after Dutsch province of
Zeeland.

Regards,
Y. Waki, Japan

----------

From: Andrys Onsman [A.Onsman at utas.edu.au]

>New Zealand was named after Zeeland in the Netherlands. It was 'discovered' in
>1642 by the Dutchman Abel Tasman. At first, it was named Statenlandt, but
>pretty soon it was renamed Nieuw Zeelandt in analogy to the original name for
>Australia, Nieuw Hollandt. Tasman got his own little island, Tasmania.
>
>regards,
>
>Marco>>

>From Andrys Onsman
To Marco Evenhuis and Reinard Hahn

Tasmania was initially called Van Diemens Land after Tasman's
superior in Batatvia, Antony van Diemen. The named was changed in the
late nineteenth century in an attempt to erase the stigma of its
convict beginnings. And it isn't so little :)

Andrys
--
Dr Andrys Onsman
Riawunna