LL-L: "Offline resources" LOWLANDS-L, 13.NOV.2000 (01) [E/F]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 20:03:46 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 13.NOV.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lone Elisabeth Olesen [baxichedda at yahoo.com]
Subject: Frisian teaching

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago I happened to find some Frisian
books in a pile of old books that were to be thrown
out...
It is text books for children learning to read,
published in the 60's. They remind me of my own school
books in Danish some 15 years later...
Is this way of learning to read frisian still used in
the schools today?
The tiles are "Ik koon frasch leese" I-III, by Elise
Heitmann, published by De Terp, Ljouwert, 1963-64. And
"Frasch leesebök 1", by Elen Hanne Andresen, Elise
Heitmann, Ipke Lorenzen, Marie Vriesema, published by
Nordfriisk Instituut, Bräist and Foriining for
nationale Frasche, Loonham, 1966
There is an introduction to "Ik koon frasch leese" on
a seperate sheet, were the author states why it is
important that the children learn to read Frisian. The
text reads:

EN UURD FORÜT TU
"IK KOON FRASCH LEESE"

Ma di nordfrasche fiibel wan we hål de ålerne än
schöljmäistre wat da latje bjarne önjt 1.-3. schöljiir
frasch liire wan, en hoonreeking düünj. As e fersäk
foon fru Vriesema, Risem, wiset, as et ai swåår än
liir da latje önj dåt ålder dåt frasch leesen; wan we
dan uk nuch flicht ma dåt schriwen wat täiwe, aw arken
fål deer, weer we niinj frasch grünschölj hääwe. Häft
1 heet bloot 40 uurde (dåt tjüsch Bühnemann-system
32), häft 2 heet 160 uurde (Bühnemann 120), än önj
häft 3 kaame we dan ål ap aw en påår hunert uurde üt e
dääglik bjarnewråål.

Je iir dåt frasch bjarn frasch leesen liirt än deerma
tugung tu frasch literatuur än histoori heet, je
natörliker as et for dåt bjarn sin fraschweesen ai tu
ferjeesen, joo, fernäid än stult tu weesen, dåt et
frasch as. Da bjarne schan jam sü eeder as möölik önj
en HIILJ frasch wråål inlaawe än deerönj bliwe, än
deertu heelpe uk da böke än åles wat schraawen än
pränted as. Ma di frasche fiibel begant et.
We tunke åltumåle, wat mahülpen hääwe, dåt en fraschen
fiibel tustånde köm, forålem Albrecht Johannsen, än
prof. Brouwern; ouers uk for da giiljstipe, wat üs
tukiimen san. Enarken, wat häft 1 kååft, heelpt
deerdöör ma, dåt heft 2 bål fülie koon; an jüst sü, di
wat häft 2 kååft, stipet dåt fiibelårbe, dåt eeftert
häft 3 ütdänj wårde koon.
Enarken, di frasche böke kååft, stipet di frasche
sååge. Ouers di, wat frasche böke tu da bjarne kååft,
stipet di frasche sååge dööwelt än trööwelt. For da
bjarne san Fraschlönjs tukamst!
Elise Heitmann, Luksborj
önj e uursmoune 1963
(end quote)

Greetings, Lone Olesen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Offline resources

Dear Lowlanders,

Lone wrote above:

> The tiles are "Ik koon frasch leese" I-III, by Elise
> Heitmann, published by De Terp, Ljouwert, 1963-64. And
> "Frasch leesebök 1", by Elen Hanne Andresen, Elise
> Heitmann, Ipke Lorenzen, Marie Vriesema, published by
> Nordfriisk Instituut, Bräist and Foriining for
> nationale Frasche, Loonham, 1966

The North Frisian variety used in these books is one of the Mainland
dialects, namely Bökingharde North Frisian or "Frasch," Mooring dialect,
the variety that seems to be in the process of becoming some sort of
representative of Mainland North Frisian.

I am not sure if these particular books are still being used, but I know
that this kind of North Frisian primer is used in North Frisian schools.

This brings me to the topic I wanted to discuss today, namely to the
videotape I mentioned a while ago.  On it there are some snippets of North
Frisian being used in schools.

On Sunday, 8 October, 2000, I wrote under "Frisiana":

> Here's an offline resources tip for all you Frisophiles. My dear friend
> Henk Wolf sent me a copy of a 1999 video presentation by Omrop Fryslân
> (postbus 7600, 8903 JP Ljouwert/Leeuwarden, Netherlands,
> redaksje at omropfryslan.nl): _It oare Fryslân: Folgje Oebele
> op 'e foet: In programmarige fan Omrop Fryslân oer de trije Fryslannen
> doe en no_ ("The other Friesland: Following in Oebele's footsteps: A
> program series by Omrop Fryslân about the three Frieslands then and
now").
> It comprises four TV programs: (1) "De âlde spraak" (about the history of

> the Frisian language-- 32'22''), (2) "Eala Frya Fresena" (about the
history
> of the Frisian people -- 34'22''), (3) "It Noardfrysk: ien taal, njoggen
dialekten"
> (about the North Frisian language varieties -- 30'53''), (4) "dr. Marron
Fort op
> taalûndersyk yn East-Fryslân (about Eastern Friesland language research
> conducted by American-born Marron Fort, dealing with Sater Frisian and
> Northwestern Low Saxon -- 31'40''). All presentations are mostly in
> Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian with some Low Saxon thrown in and with
Dutch
> subtitles. The videotape costs NLG 25. It comes with a very nice,
> illustrated brochure in Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian.
>
> I have not yet been able to play the video tape, because I just received
> it (Thanks, Henk!), and because it is quite a production to use a VCR
that
> can play tapes recorded in a non-American mode at the University Library.

> So at this juncture I cannot say anything about the quality of the
> presentations, but I think some of you will appreciate the tip anyway.

And Henry Baron responded:

> Just a note on Ron's item re. the video programs.
>
> I had a chance to view them recently (after getting the format changed
from
> PAL) and can attest to their quality, both visually and verbally. In
fact, I'm
> so eager to share them with English speakers who have a lively interest
in
> Frisiana, that I'm toying with the idea of adding English subtitles or
audio.
> This is a first-rate contribution.

Last Saturday, at long last, I managed to watch the videotape (in NTCS
video mode) and would like to give you a review.

I am absolutely delighted with this series, totally agree with Henry's
assessment and recommend it very highly.  At this point, the only drawback
is that it is, basically, in Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian with Dutch
subtitles, which limits the potential number of viewers.  The program
series was obviously created with Netherlands Frisian viewers in mind,
secondly for Netherlanders in general.  It assumes familiarity with Fryslân
(i.e., Friesland under Netherlands administration) and its language and
culture.  Everything but Dutch is subtitled, in Dutch.  This includes all
varieties of Frisian, as well as German, English and Low Saxon (Low
German).  The intended purpose of educating Frisians of the Netherlands
about their relatives in Germany--hence the main title _It oare Fryslân_
(The Other Friesland)--also accounts for the fact that there is virtually
nothing about today's Netherlands Fryslân.  This may be a drawback when it
comes to international distribution.  Those who are new to information
about Frisian language and culture ought to watch this in addition to
similar information about Netherlands Fryslân.  I also recommend this
program series to learners of Westerlauwer Frisian--and it helps if they
can read Dutch--because it provides about two hours of exposure to spoken
W. Frisian with Dutch subtitles.  At the beginning I looked at the
subtitles most of the time, toward the end only about 25% of the time.

The series provides a splendid introduction to Frisian history, especially
in the first segment, later bit by bit as it explains the various present
situations.  It clearly outlines how the originally Frisian-speaking area,
i.e., the North Sea coast area from today's Netherlands-Belgian border to
Jutland, came to dwindle and to end up as a number of isolated enclaves:
Fryslân in the Netherlands, and Saterland, Mainland and Tide Flats Island
Northern Friesland, and Insular Northern Friesland (Heligoland, Amrum, Föhr
and Sylt) in Germany.

There is also a lot of coverage of those areas in which the Frisian
languages have been lost but in which there are Frisian substrates in
language and culture, and/or where Frisian ethnicity or at least awareness
of a Frisian past is being maintained despite language death.  It is
interesting to note that Frisian awareness is rather strong in Germany's
Eastern Friesland and Jeverland (the latter once known as "Friesland"),
although Low Saxon became the traditional language of those parts, while
people in the most isolated Frisian-speaking communities (Saterland and
Insular Northern Friesland) had come to think of themselves not as Frisians
until recently.  It also mentions the Frisian past of Groningen
(Netherlands) and the lack of awareness and even rejection of this past
among its Low-Saxon-speaking residents.  The series also deals with the
situations of the Frisian varieties today, what is and what is not done
with and for these language varieties and what kind of data collecting and
research activities there are.  It shows how Saterland and North Frisian is
used in educational settings with both children and university students.

The first three segments clearly form a consistent series.  This is very
well done in that the viewer, represented by an unseen speaker (sorry I
missed her name), is guided around by the Fryslân scholar Oebele Vries.
The fourth segment is somewhat different in that Oebele Vries is absent and
the speaker interviews Marron Fort and follows him on his various
excursions.  Most of the time Fort--what a "Lowlander"!-- converses with
the speaker in Dutch.  You hear him speak German, Eastern Friesland Low
Saxon and Saterland Frisian (Seltersk) with other people.  The viewer gets
to watch him conduct field research in the homes of Saterland residents and
of a speaker of Groningen Low Saxon and conversing with East Frisian
fishermen in Low Saxon.

All in all, I found this series very informative and well presented.  I
hope that a similar series, including information about Netherlands
Fryslân, will be produced for international distribution.

Best regards,