LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 15.NOV.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 15:25:38 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Bart Hollebrandse [zeeuws2000 at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language policies" LOWLANDS-L, 09.NOV.2000 (01) [E]

> Hello all -
>
> "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl> wrote:
>
> > I don't know whether you find the text below
> > interesting for the discussion
> > list, but feel free to use it if you like. It's
> the
> > reaction (in Dutch
> > only) of the Nederlandse Taalunie on the efforts
> of
> > the Dutch province of Zeeland
> > to get Zeeuws/Zeelandic recognised just as
> > Limburgish and Nedersaksisch are
> > recognised as regional languages.
>
> I think this was interesting to read, a bit scary
> though - apart from the laws and the medieval
> documents they are referring to, how do they "know"
> so
> surely what "is" a dialect and what "is" a regional
> language??
>
> Greetings, Lone E. Olesen

Dear Lone E Olsen,

Honestly, they don't know what the difference
between a language and a dialect is. For linguists
this is completely arbitrary and therefore
uninteresting. However, at a political level it can,
of course make a lot of difference. Only think of the
attempt to get Zeeuws recognized as a European
regional language.

What strikes me this issue is that the Taalunie has a
kind weird opinion: they seem to think that having
dialects recognized will harm the standard language. I
am not so convinced of it. Let only, there doesn't
seem to be much evidence for it (either way of the
argument).

best,
Bart