LL-L: "Literature" LOWLANDS-L, 21.NOV.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 16:52:23 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.NOV.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Literature"

Ron wrote, concerning the Grimm Brothers' fairy tales:

> The brothers' field trips took them north of
> their Hessian
> homeland into Low-Saxon-speaking regions, and they included in
> their
> collection tales from those regions, related to them mostly by
> older women,
> the usual keepers of folklore and oral literature.  How
> faithfully the
> brothers recorded the stories is not known, I believe.
> Surviving
> manuscripts with notations and corrections seem to indicate
> that they
> edited them heavily (also the German ones).

I don't want to go any further off topic, but I'll just pass
this reference along for those who are interested in the Grimms'
fairy tales: John Ellis' One Fairytale too Many details
(indignently) how the Grimms proceeded, and it seems that they
relied primarily on one old woman- who was a French Huggenot,
and whose tales derive directly from a French book of fairy
tales.  They don't seem to have consulted many old women at all,
despite their claim (their collection was, after all, driven by
a passionate desire to unify the Germans, and they cut a few
corners)
Ellis also points out the extensive editing the Grimms carried
out with each edition.  They did excellent linguistic research,
but seem to have claimed more research than they actually did
when it came to the fairy tales.
I think the Platt stories were contributed by others to the
Grimms' collection, but I don't recall definitely.

Stefan Israel
stefansfeder at yahoo.com