LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 21.NOV.2000 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 20:21:01 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.NOV.2000 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [roger.thijs at euro-support.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 21.NOV.2000 (02) [E]

> From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
> Subject: "Language varieties"
> Ethan Barrett asked:
> Language vs dialect
> > how do we
> > distinguish seperate languages from seperate dialects of the
> > same language?
> ouch- that's a question that's bedeviled this list repeatedly,
> and as a trained linguist, I can tell you-  there is no reliable
> criterion to determine whether related varietes should be
> considered dialects or languages.

Isn't it better we forget all about dialects and rather speak about:
- koiné languages, quite often having a rulesetting that is protected by
some authoritative body
- parish languages, spoken by the native population of a given parish.
(eventually sharing linguistical features with other parishes in the
area)?

Since nowadays we have a lot of migration across Europe, migrants rather
tend to learn the koiné than the parish language, and since the native
parish people speak both, or quite often speak the parish language and
write in the koiné, the koiné wins, especially considering the strongly
increased migration on the continent since WWII.

Some languages appear only as a collection of _linguistically related_
parish languages, without these having a "strong" and widely accepted
common standard. Other languages are virtually purely koiné as
Esperanto, I guess.

I think it is hard for a parish language nowadays to grow into a "new"
koiné. Lëtzebuergesch from Luxemburg-city may be the exception.

Regards,

Roger