LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 30.NOV.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 29 16:50:24 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.NOV.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pat Karl [h45paka at koi.hstc.necsyl.com]
Subject: Etymology

Hi Ron,

> Subject:      LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 30.NOV.2000 (02) [E/LS]
>
> Dear Lowlanders,
> Yesterday I inquired about the Low Saxon (Low German) word _katerdellen_ 'to
> weave or braid using four strands', and I suspected that it contains the
> French word _quatre_ 'four'.  Henry replied that he believed I could be on to
> something there and that in his Twente dialect (Netherlands) _drellen_ denotes
> something like 'to twist (stands) together'.  Above, Reiner wrote that in his
> Westphalian dialect a _Kardeel_ is a part of a rope.
> Might this be connected with _quadrille_, perhaps as folk etymology?  The
> _Herkunftsduden_ states that in Germany the dance "quadrille" was first known
> in the north, in the 18th century.  A quadrille is a square counter dance in
> which four parties perform weaving movements with each other.  The name is
> derived from French, and French got it from Spanish _quadrilla_ 'a troupe of
> riders (originally in square formation)'.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

I don't think it's that complicated.  The English word "drill", meaning a
cloth woven with three threads, comes from the Latin "trelix", which I
suppose means "three threads".  Wouldn't the etymology of drellen/dellen
be the same?  Then to extend the meaning to a cloth woven with four threads,
the root for four, "kater<quatro", would have been prefixed.  So "katerdellen"
would contain the roots for both "four" and "three".

I think "quadrille" comes from "cuadro" meaning "square", it being a type
of square dance.

Regards,
Pat Karl
pkarl at grasshoppernet.com