LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 01.OCT.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 1 19:08:08 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 01.OCT.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lone Elisabeth Olesen [baxichedda at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Help needed"

R. F. Hahn wrote:
> [...]
the Low Saxon name
_Allhorn_ <<<<

Roger Thijs answered:
>I guess it corrensponds to the Dutch ahoorn.

That was also my first reaction - but would an _l_
sound just disappear?

Plattdeutsch-hochdeutsches Wörterbuch (Renate
Herrmann-Winter, Hinstorff Verlag, Rostock 1999), has
the following:

"Alhorn: Holunder, auch Alhörenbom, Sambucus nigra"

and

"Ahuurn: Ahorn".

Greetings, Lone Olesen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Hi, Lone, Lowlanders!

Lone to the rescue again!  Thanks so much!  I don't have a copy of this
rather recently published dictionary.  Could you give us the ISBN number as
well?  I ought to add it to the offline guide for Low Saxon/Low German.
(Additions to all guides are always welcome, by the way).

That _Allhorn_ and _ahoorn_ are not related was pretty clear to me, since
Dutch _ahoorn_ is (/aahourn/) _Ahoorn_ ['?Q:hoUAn] or _Ahuurn_ ['?Q:hu:An]
in Low Saxon ('maple' in English).

So _Allhorn_ means 'elder(bush)' (_vlier_ in Dutch, _Holunder_ in German,
_hyld_ in Danish)!  I had heard _Ellhoorn_ for 'elder' once or twice in
some dialect or other, and I don't understand why I didn't make the (fairly
obvious) connection.  The "problem" is that in my home dialect of Low Saxon
(Low German) we use _Flederbeerbusch_ ['flEIdAbe:AbUS] or _Flederbeerboom_
['flEIdAbe:AboUm] for 'elder(bush/tree)' (and also Missingsch and North
German _Fliederbeerbusch_ or _Fliederbeerbaum_), based on the elderberries,
the fruit of the tree.  As often happens in multi-code societies, I, as a
city boy, was confused for a while: I believed that elderberries were the
fruit of the lilac tree, because of _Flieder(baum)_ in German (including
Missingsch, _sering_ in Dutch, _syrén_ in Danish).  However, I later
learned that Standard German _Flieder_ and _Holunder_ were different
plants, and 'lilac' is _Sireen_ or _Syringen_ in various Low Saxon
dialects.  By the way, some dialects apparently use _Goosfleder_ ("goose
elder/lilac") for 'elder'.  When I grew up (in prehistoric times), German
_Holunder_ was foreign to us children.  We called it
_Flieder(beerbusch/-baum)_.  Both plants were important to us: lilac
flowers were symbols of high springtime, and elderberries were symbols of
summertime and were also the raw material for elderberry juice
(_Flederbeersapp_, usually preserved and drunk hot in the winter) and
elderberry soup (_Flederbeersupp_, _Knicksupp_ in other dialects, usually
served cold in the summer, with semolina dumplings or with beaten and
sweetened eggwhite on top).

Thanks again, Lone.