LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 03.OCT.2000 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 3 23:42:08 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 02.OCT.2000 (02)[E]

> From: Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> To: LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
> Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 02.OCT.2000 (02) [E]
>
> From: Lone Elisabeth Olesen [baxichedda at yahoo.com]
> Subject: "Interspecies Lowlandic"

Lone wrote
> Speaking of animal sounds, I read an article on a book
> dealing with these "onomatopoetikon". I don't recall
> the name of the author, but it is a study of animal
> sounds in several countries in Europe and Asia.... As
> far as I remember, they list sounds of dogs, hens,
> sheep, snakes, etc. etc....

Which has triggered a couple more from my ancient childhood.
Hens were referred to as 'coackie-leery-laws' although I would have assumed
this should only have applied to cockerels.
There's an old Scots lullaby that goes....
'Per Wee Thing, she's feelin awfie cauld
Wrap er in a plaidie, wrap er in a shawl.
Wrap er in a blankit an wuh'll cry Heesh a wa,
An aw the coaks an hens'll cry Coackie-Leery-Law.'

There's also a great onomatopoeic word for the turkey which is called a
'Bubby Joack' which I think beats any other name for this table delicacy.

Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia