LL-L: "Frisiana" LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.2000 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 9 20:39:08 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2000 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Henry Baron <baro at calvin.edu>
Subject: LL-L: "Frisiana" LOWLANDS-L, 08.OCT.2000 (02) [D/E]

Just a note on Ron's item re. the video programs.
I had a chance to view them recently (after getting the format changed from
PAL) and can attest to their quality, both visually and verbally.  In fact, I'm
so eager to share them with English speakers who have a lively interest in
Frisiana, that I'm toying with the idea of adding English subtitles or audio.
This is a first-rate contribution.

-henry

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Frisiana

Dear Lowlanders,

Here's an offline resources tip for all you Frisophiles.  My dear friend
Henk Wolf sent me a copy of a 1999 video presentation by Omrop Fryslân
(postbus 7600, 8903 JP Ljouwert/Leeuwarden, Netherlands,
redaksje at omropfryslan.nl): _It oare Fryslân: Folgje Oebele op 'e foet: In
programmarige fan Omrop Fryslân oer de trije Fryslannen doe en no_ ("The
other Friesland: Following in Oebele's footsteps: A program series by Omrop
Fryslân about the three Frieslands then and now").  It comprises four TV
programs: (1) "De âlde spraak" (about the history of the Frisian language
-- 32'22''), (2) "Eala Frya Fresena" (about the history of the Frisian
people -- 34'22''), (3) "It Noardfrysk: ien taal, njoggen dialekten" (about
the North Frisian language varieties -- 30'53''), (4) "dr. Marron Fort op
taalûndersyk yn East-Fryslân (about Eastern Friesland language research
conducted by American-born Marron Fort, dealing with Sater Frisian and
Northwestern Low Saxon -- 31'40'').  All presentations are mostly in
Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian with some Low Saxon thrown in and with Dutch
subtitles.  The videotape costs NLG 25.  It comes with a very nice,
illustrated brochure in Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian.

I have not yet been able to play the video tape, because I just received
it (Thanks, Henk!), and because it is quite a production to use a VCR that
can play tapes recorded in a non-American mode at the University Library.
So at this juncture I cannot say anything about the quality of the
presentations, but I think some of you will appreciate the tip anyway.

Best regards,
Reinhard/Ron
<