LL-L: "Language planning" LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.2000 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 10 01:18:41 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2000 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Wabmaister [Andy.Eagle at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Language planning" LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.2000 (02) [E]

Sandy Fleming wrote:
> One problem in Scots these days is that enthusiasts
> tackling high-register Scots start to coin new words and
> phrases long before they've exhausted all precedents -
> the real problem being that they can't exhaust all
> precedents because they don't know much of the language
> beyond their own everyday register.

There seems to be a lot of potentially suitable high register 'latinate'
words in older Scots writing, even current Scots legal 'jargon' could be of

use. Unfortunately I'm not familair with this.
I'm often not enthused by some of the undecipherable neologisms that are
created. An older 'latinate' term which can be found in the CSD would be
much better any day. So what if "people don't use those words" is the
derisory cry. How many native English speakers need to consult a dictionary

when confronted with 'latinate' vocabulary? Maybe not much of a problem for

me often reading material containing such like.
Though some of the older spellings may need to be 'modernised'.

One day I hope to delve into the 'latinate' vocabulary of Scots and add it
to my online dictionary, unfortunately there are only 24 hours in the day.

Andy

[Full name: Andy Eagle  (A poster's full name must be visible, even if
first and last name are in different places.)  RFH]