LL-L: "Language learning" LOWLANDS-L, 26.OCT.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 26 20:08:41 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: MAJOR PROJECT

Dear All,

RE: FEASIBILITY STUDY INTO LANGUAGE LEARNING CENTRE IN DONEGAL

It is my privilege to report to the list developments towards an
Ulster-Scots Language Learning Centre, to be based in Co Donegal,
Ireland. I can further report that my own company will have the honour
of carrying out a feasibility as the first step towards a hi-tech
language learning resource, which will provide a major boost to the
area, to the Scots language, and undoubtedly to minority languages in
Europe as a whole.

The idea is to create an IT-based resource, whereby people can learn
Scots no matter where they are based, in the comfort of their own
home. It will include, as necessary, web-cams, on-line questionnaires
etc. etc. It will be based in an office in eastern Co Donegal, with
3-4 full-time staff.

Let us not doubt, however, the task is a monumental one. Our draft
study will be complete by 1 December, but we cannot work alone here.
This can only be done *in partnership* with organizations across the
globe dedicated to best practice in language learning and in the
development of minority languages.

I very much hope LOWLANDS-L members will partake in this opportunity
to be part of this fine project. If you have *any* ideas at all, no
matter how great or small, no matter how irrelevant you think they
will be, I want to hear them. I am particularly interested in those
who speak languages similar to the national tongue, so that our
resource can also be used as a prime example for your languages. This
is a chance for us all to work together.

Please go either via the list or directly to me at:

parsleyij at yahoo.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

With every best wish,
----------------------
Ian James Parsley
Ultonia (Solutions Division)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language learning

Congratulations, Ian!  This is a big step and a monumental task, indeed.

I can well imagine that this could be very useful for future purposes,
especially in other cases of the type "Scots - English," namely where a
minority language is relatively closely related to the language that
overshadows it.  As far as I can tell, in our Lowlands area this would apply
to the following, besides Scots - English:

Zeelandic (& West Flemish) - Dutch
Limburgish - Dutch & German
Low Saxon (Low German) - Dutch & German
Westerlauwer Frisian - Dutch
Sater Frisian - German (& Low Saxon)
North Frisian (8 varieties) - German (& Low Saxon)

One question, though:
Is the Scots that will be taught in/from Co. Donegal be Ulster Scots or
Mainland Scots, or both (and Shetlandic)?

Hartliche Gröten, un 'n gooden Wind in de Sails!