LL-L: "Pronunciation" LOWLANDS-L, 03.SEP.2000 (02) [Ap/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 18:31:20 UTC 2000

  L O W L A N D S - L * 03.SEP.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Richard L Turner [fr.andreas at juno.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Pronunciation"

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:12:00 -0700 Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com> writes:
"(Example: Not too long ago two people applied for LL-L subscription
stating that they were interested in  all Lowlands language varieties with
the exception of Appalachian ...)"

Hey Ar!
     Was they naturl borned Appalachians? They's nobody elst got ary cause
fer sech haid-hangin shame. A hope ye let em in. They's not enough writ in
Appalachian on this list nor ary tae bust the Sabbath, much less tae run a
body off.
     When A first tuk up a-writin thisaway, instead o jist a-tawkin wi ma
home-fowk, they was a woman fum up in West Virginie give me hob oer hit.
She said A was "too extreme." An she got personal fum thar, an tarnt plumb
ill. But why should thangs hyir be ary bit differnt fum anywhars elst?
We're askeert tae vary in ary way at might be seen as backards, an stubborn
as mules about not givin up one speck o distinction.

Yorn,
Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Pronunciation

Fr Andreas Richard Turner wrote:

> Was they naturl borned Appalachians?

I don't know.

> A hope ye let em in.

Of course I did.  Exposure tends to be the antidote in such cases, unless
there are signs of a commitment to hostility and little hope of a change of
mind.

I have received messages from others (non-subscribers) that more or less
challenged the inclusion of Appalachian as "an American English dialect."
In each case, I briefly replied that (1) whether or not A. is a dialect or
language is debatable (being at least partly Scots-derived) and (2) is of
no great importance since our policy is one of inclusion wherever the
speakers perceive their language varieties to be sufficiently separate.