LL-L: "Pronunciation" LOWLANDS-L, 19.SEP.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 14:17:36 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.SEP.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Pronunciation" LOWLANDS-L, 18.SEP.2000 (06) [E]

>From: Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>To: LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: LL-L: "Pronunciation" LOWLANDS-L, 18.SEP.2000 (06) [E]
>Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 1:20 PM
RF Hahn wrote..

> Tom, while this is certainly stupid, crass, annoying and inexcusable, I
> don't think it is meant to be mean-spirited or anything like that.
The tragedy is that you are perfectly correct and in many, not all cases,
they do not realise just how offensive this can be. I am an active Freemason
and have come across similar reactions to French, German, and Netherlands
Brethrens' English. I put up with it for everal years in my own Lodge where
two of us copped it regularly...'X will propose this toast, sorry you won't
understand him.' In the end I gently took one of the main perpetrators to
task in a friendly manner, he was most apologetic and explained he and the
others had not realised what they were doing. From that day onwards it
stopped.
Alas many Brits also show ignorance in categorising the English of other
peoples. I wonder if they still use that awful 'Flied Lice...Tee Hee Hee' in
referring to food in Chinese restaurants. We must glorify in the divesity
and variations that have evolved from our root languages.

--
Tom Mc Rae Brisbane Australia
'Oh wad some power the Gifty gie us