LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 21.SEP.2000 (02) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 14:54:12 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.SEP.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 20.SEP.2000 (05) [E/LS]

Lone wrote:

>hello -
>
>R.F. Hahn wrote:
>
>> Lierendräiher [lierendreier]
>> "organ-grinder"? "someone who does no serious work"?
>
>Could this be the same word as "lurendrejer" in
>Danish?
>It is considered outdated and would be an expression
>used by my grandparents' generation for a person who
>is too smart for his or her own good. The original
>meaning is small-scale cheater or trickster.
>I happened to find "Lurendreiher" som time ago in a
>very small dictionary, "Compact Miniwörterbuch:
>Friesische Schimpfwörter" (Compact verlag München,
>1997), I don't know how reliable it is, but the
>explanation given is the same as the one I know:
>cheater, trickster (Bauernfänger).
>I hope this can be of some help?

That reminds me of the Low-Saxon saying "iemand 'ne luur drejen",
which means "to trick someone". So a "luurdrejer" (fictive) would
be a trickster. Interesting.

Jan Strunk schreef:

>fersleten (met diftong: fersliéten) (ouk uutsliéten)

Hier is daet ok "fersletten"

Henk schreef:

>Dat doet me eraan denken dat mijn vader in zijn Nederlands een serie
>alternatieven gebruikt voor _niets_ of _niks_: nakkes, naches, nagges,
>nachies, noppes.
>Alleen de laatste vorm wordt in Van Dale gegeven. Waar die woorden vandaan
>komen, weet ik niet. Zijn er andere Lowlanders die ze kennen?

Niks, nakkes, noppes en al dat soort varianten zijn in heel Nederland wel
bekend denk ik.

grooten,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Help needed

Lone and Henry wrote about LS _Lierendräiher_ / Danish _lurendrejer_:

> >cheater, trickster (Bauernfänger).
> >I hope this can be of some help?
> >
> That reminds me of the Low-Saxon saying "iemand 'ne luur drejen",
> which means "to trick someone". So a "luurdrejer" (fictive) would
> be a trickster. Interesting.

Indeed!  I think you are on to something there, Lone.  Yeah, "someone who
dupes" or something.  That does make sense.  In North Saxon dialects, _Luur_
(fem., < _Lure_?) means something like 'ambush' or 'expectation' (cf. German
_Lauer_).  (Interestingly, English "lure" entered the Middle English from
French but is a Germanic loan in French ...)

Hopefully I'll hear back from Aloys Terbille so I will be able to clear up
these things.

Jan and Henry:

> Jan Strunk schreef:
> >
> >fersleten (met diftong: fersliéten) (ouk uutsliéten)
> >
> Hier is daet ok "fersletten"

Of course!  I don't know why I didn't connect _verschlieten_ with North Saxon
_versleten_.

Infinitive: _verslieten_ 'to wear down'

        Present                 Preterite
ick     versliet                versleet [fA'slEIt]
du      verslitts(t)            versleets(t) [fA'slEIts(t)]
he      verslitt                versleet [fA'slEIt]
se      verslitt                versleet [fA'slEIt]
dat/et  verslitt                versleet [fA'slEIt]
wie     versliett/verslieten    versleten [fA'slEItn]
jie     versliett/verslieten    versleten [fA'slEItn]
se      versliett/verslieten    versleten [fA'slEItn]

Past participle: versleten ~ versläten [fA'sle:tn] ~ [fA'slE:tn] 'worn (down)'

The long monophthong /ee/ becomes a falling diphthong ([ie] ~ [iE]) in many
dialects, as Jan showed:

>fersleten (met diftong: fersliéten) (ouk uutsliéten)

An alternative with the same meaning is _upslieten_ or _opslieten_.

Of course, the German cognates are _verschleißen_, _verschlissen_, etc.

Thanks again, everyone.

From: strunk [Strunk at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 18.SEP.2000 (05) [E]

Goden dag, leive leiglanners,

ein woord hev ik nog fergeten:

>ineene
Souwiid as ik weet, heet dat soufeel as Düütsch "zusammen"
as in "zusammenschlagen".

Walter Born schrivt in siin bouk "Plattdüütsk is gans anners"

>Se slog de Pötte ineen
>Sie schlug die Töpfe zusammen
Ik glööv ik hev ouk al maol fan ineinekrupen höört.
Dat sal wol "sich zusammenkauern" of sou wat bedüden.

Gued gaon,

Jan Strunk
strunk at t-online.de