LL-L: "Lowlands in Denmark" LOWLANDS-L, 21.SEP.2000 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 21 15:03:04 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 21.SEP.2000 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz [helgetietz at yahoo.com]
Subject: Help needed: Frisian in Denmark

Moin-moin,

I am wondering whether anyone has any information
about the extend and the dialects of Frisian spoken on
the islands of Roemoe and Fanoe and the adjusting
mainland between Esbjerg and the border of Germany, I
only hear rumours that apparantly the inhabitants
there are origionally Frisian but no one so far could
give me any detailed information. The current state is
that no Frisian is spoken anywhere north the
German-Danish border and it seems to me that this has
been the case for a long, long time. All what is
noticable along the West-coast of Jutland in Denmark
and apparantly of North-Sea Germanic origion (in
contrast to North-Germanic) is an English "W"
pronounciation in words where "Riksdansk" has "V" like
e.g. "West" for "Vest".

Ik toef op een anter !
Jeg venter for en svar ! Tak.

Helge

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Lowlands in Denmark

Dear Lowlanders, navnlig vore venner i Danmark,

Helge's question (above) has been floating around on Lowlands-L for years, but
so far there has been no answer.  I am personally also very interested in it.
Also, another question I've been asking on and off for years is if there is
any proof of Low Saxon (Low German) still being used in Southern Jutland among
the German minority.