LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 22.SEP.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 14:16:07 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Matthew McGrattan [matthew.mcgrattan at bnc.ox.ac.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 21.SEP.2000 (01) [E]

> Regarding "blackguard" I always imagined that it applied to the roguish
> character of members of the Black Guard.  However, this appears to have
> been mere fantasy, and a connection with the scullery is more likely.

According to Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
(1913)(http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict?Form=Dict3&Database=web1913) the meaning
of blackguard does come from "black guard" - it says:

Blackguard \Black"guard\, n. [Black + guard.]
     1. The scullions and lower menials of a court, or of a
        nobleman's household, who, in a removal from one residence
        to another, had charge of the kitchen utensils, and being
        smutted by them, were jocularly called the ``black
        guard''; also, the servants and hangers-on of an army.
        [Obs.]

              A lousy slave, that . . . rode with the black guard
              in the duke's carriage, 'mongst spits and dripping
              pans.                                 --Webster
                                                    (1612).

i.e. the servants became blackened while "guarding" the kitchen utensils.

Thanks,

Matt