LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 22.SEP.2000 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 14:28:51 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.SEP.2000 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Henry Pijffers [hpijffers at home.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 21.SEP.2000 (02) [D/E/LS]

Ron wrote:

>Indeed!  I think you are on to something there, Lone.  Yeah, "someone who
>dupes" or something.  That does make sense.  In North Saxon dialects, _Luur_
>(fem., < _Lure_?) means something like 'ambush' or 'expectation' (cf. German
>_Lauer_).  (Interestingly, English "lure" entered the Middle English from
>French but is a Germanic loan in French ...)

We also have "luren" in the meaning of "secretly observating" of course.

>An alternative with the same meaning is _upslieten_ or _opslieten_.

Here also "ofslieten".

regards,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Help needed

Henry,

You wrote:

> We also have "luren" in the meaning of "secretly observating" of course.

It's used like that in most Low Saxon (Low German) dialects of Germany also,
written _luren_ or _luurn_ [lu:An], something like 'to secretly watch (in a
suspicious manner)'.  An additional meaning in many dialects is 'to (eagerly
and quietly) await'; e.g., _Dat dat Book ruutkümmt, daar heff ick al lang up
luurt_ 'I have long been early awaiting the publication of the book' (perhaps
implying "... and now that it's available I'll immediately buy and read it").
I think the implication is something like "to quietly wait for something
expected and then get in on the act", really not to far off from the original
meaning "to lie in ambush (ready to pounce)".