LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 27.SEP.2000 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 27 14:13:55 UTC 2000

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.SEP.2000 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 26.SEP.2000 (01)[E]

> From: Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:13:41 -0700
> To: LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
> Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 26.SEP.2000 (01) [E]
Elsie Zinsner wrote
> John Feather said: When we discussed this topic I wrote:>.. dogs speak
> different languages, like their owners ...  English dogs say "bow-wow".
> Swedish dogs say "vov-vov". What do dogs of other Lowland ethnicities
> say?<
In the Edinburgh area, at least, sheep said 'Meh' and in fact condescending
adults would tell small children they were 'Sheepy Meh's'. I can recall no
other animal sounds peculiar to my Lowlands area apart from crows saying
'Craw, craw' but we call them Craws anyhow, onomatopoeic and better than the
English Crow.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia
"Oh wid some power the Giftie gie us
Tae see oorselves as ithers see us"
Robert Burns--

----------

From: Thomas [t.mcrae at uq.net.au]

> From: Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> To: LOWLANDS-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
> Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 26.SEP.2000 (01) [E]
>
> From: Helge Tietz [helgetietz at yahoo.com]
> Subject: LL-L: "Interspecies Lowlandic" LOWLANDS-L, 24.SEP.2000 (03) [E]

> In Low Saxon it is the same as in Swedish, it is
> wou-wou, this applies e.g. as well to Latvian but the
> Russian dog shouts "gaff-gaff" to the children, which
> amuses the Latvians a lot when listening to a Russian
> family.
When in Russia I found that humans attracted cats with 'Kss Kss' rather than
'Pss Pss'. In view of early Scandanavian influences in Russia is there any
connection here.