LL-L: "Place names" (was "Pronunciation") LOWLANDS-L, 03.APR.2001 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 3 20:38:29 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.APR.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Marco Evenhuis [evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl]
Subject:  LL-L: "Pronunciation" LOWLANDS-L, 03.APR.2001 (02) [E/S]

Andy Eagle wrote:

> A've learned a puckle A didna ken afore fae the Geonative site.
>
> The Lowden anes A'v thocht on tae submit is ("The Pans" an some ither anes
> is aaready thare):
>
> English:          Scots:
>
> Tranent           Ternent
> Glenkinchie       Kinchie
> Haddington        Heddinton
> Pathhead          Pethheid
> Loanhead          Loanheid
> Tynehead          Tyneheid
> Fisherrow         Fisheraw
> Aberlady          Aiberlady
> Eyemouth          Eemooth (Berwickshire)
> Dolphingstone     Dowphiston
> Foulstruther/Wolfstar   Foulster

Couldn't help submitting some Zeelandic examples. I know an extensive list
already exists, but I can't find it right now. So a few Zeeland placenames
in Dutch and Zeeuws then:

Dutch                        Zeeuws

Aagtekerke                Aegte or 't Aflat
Aardenburg              Aernburg
Arnemuiden            Aeremuu
Biggekerke                Beekerke or Beekeu
Breskens                   Bresjes
Bruinisse                  Bru
Biezelinge                 Biezelige
Cadzand                   Cerzand
Colijnsplaat              Kersplaete
Dreischor                  Dereister
Ellewoutsdijk           Ellesdiek
Gapinge                    ter Gaepienge
Groede                      de Groe
Grijpskerke                Grieps
's Heer-Abtskinderen  Schrabbekinders
Hansweert                 'Answest
Hoedekenskerke       'Oedjeskerke
Heinkenszand          'Eintjeszand
Hoofdplaat                d'Oôfplaote
Haamstede                'Aemstie
Kortgene                    Kertjee
Kuiningen                 Krunigen
Kloetinge                   Kloetige
Lewedorp                   't Leêwedurp
Middelharnis             Menheerse
Meliskerke                  Melis
St. Maartensdijk        Smerdiek
Oostkapele                Oôskappel
Oud-Vossemeer        Vosmaer
St.Philipsland             Flupland
Poortvliet                    Povliet
Schuddebeurs             Schoddebozze
Serooskerke                Stroskerke
Vrouwenpolder         den Polder
Westkapelle                Wasschaffel or Wasschappel
Wemeldinge               Weumelienge
Waterlandskerkje        't Kerkje
Zierikzee                     Zurrekzeê
Zoutelande                Zoetelande

A few houses near Heinkenszand are known as 'de Gosvazze', gos being grass
and vazze being a sod. The municipality wrongly translated it into Dutch as
'Grasvast'. Later, it was translated more properly as 'Graszode'....
That's all folks. At least, for now.

regards, Marco

From: Steven Williams [steaphainwilliams at hotmail.com]
Subject: pronunciation

The village next to the place I grew up in is Arniston (pronounced Arnis'n) -
about 15 miles south east of Edinburgh.

Steven Williams