LL-L: "Kinship" LOWLANDS-L, 05.APR.2001 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 22:02:07 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.APR.2001 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Marco Evenhuis [evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Kinship" LOWLANDS-L, 05.APR.2001 (06) [E]

Ron wrote:

> In Low Saxon (Low German) of Northern Germany, too, _us_ [?Us] or _uns_
> [?U.ns] 'our' is often used before the name of one's own family member
when
> talking about a member of one's own family to someone inside or outside
the
> family.

Same here in Zeeland, in all the ways Ron described: ons/onzen Jan gae mee
de dochter van Jan van Keulen; die van ons (our daughter) ei nog nie vee
omkiek; ons vaoder gae ge-werke... Furthermore, in some situations 'ons' is
used in stead of 'our family: ons è daè nooit an meegedae; ons è aoltied ao
verergeweert mee die van Louwerse; ons trouwe nie mee Bastiaanses.
I always felt this use of 'ons' as part of Zelandic, since I haven't heard
anyone using it in Dutch, I've only seen it in written form. I think that in
Dutch these ways of using 'ons' are at least old-fashioned.

regards,

Marco