LL-L: "Kinship" LOWLANDS-L, 05.APR.2001 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 20:51:59 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.APR.2001 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pepijn Hendriks [pepijnh at bigfoot.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Kinship" LOWLANDS-L, 05.APR.2001 (03) [E]

R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com] wrote;

>For the benefit of those who do not understand Frisian let me add that
>_omkesizzer_ and _muoikesizzer_ literally mean "uncle sayer" and "aunt
>sayer" respectively.

Standard Dutch has _oomzegger_ (and _oomzegster_). I have never
heard _tantezegger_, however. It is used to distinguish between a
cousin and a nephew/niece, which are both _neef_/_nicht_ in
Dutch. As far as I know it is used as an explanation only, not as a
stand-alone term.

>> That word goes back over 6000 years, to Proto-Indo-European
>> *(s)nusos "daughter-in-law": OE snoru, early New High German
>> Schnur, , Crimean Gothic schnos, Latin  nurus, Greek nuos.  It
>> is tentatively connected to the _nubile_ root *(s)neubh- "to
>> woo, marry"
>I take it that IE *_neubh-_ is the origin of some of the Slavic words
>for 'bride' as well: e.g., Czech, Slovak, Sorbian, Serbo-Croatisan
>_nevesta_, as well as Russian _nevestka_ 'daughter-in-law'.

Russian _snoxa_ is derived from the IE root *_snus-_. It means
'daughter-in-law', but only to be used by the father of the husband.
The mother of the husband would use _nevestka_.

For Russian the following goes (from the 1993 edition of Ozhegov's
dictionary):

_nevesta_ 'bride; (coll.) girl who has reached marriageable age'
_nevestka_ 'wife of brother or wife of son, but also a a married
woman in relation to the brothers and sisters of her husband (and
their wifes and husbands)'

Family relations in Russian are terribly complex, with different terms
for man and woman to describe the same relationship. For example,
a woman's parents-in-law are _svëkor_ 'father-in-law' and
_svekrov'_ 'mother-in-law', a man's counterparts are _test'_ and
_tëshcha_ respectively.

(Schemes outlining family relations can be found in Genevra
Gerhart's book _The Russian's World. Life and Language_, p. 15-17
in my 1974 edition; there is an updated post-Soviet edition
available, which I'm sure includes these schemes also.)

-Pepijn

--
 pepijnh at gmx.net -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220

----------

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Kinship

> I take it that IE *_neubh-_ is the origin of some of the
> Slavic words for
> 'bride' as well: e.g., Czech, Slovak, Sorbian, Serbo-Croatisan
> _nevesta_, as > well as Russian _nevestka_ 'daughter-in-law'.

Quite possibly-  my Pokorny etymological dictionary lists Czech
_snoubiti_ "to woo, engage", and Old Church Slavic _snubiti_ "to
wed 2 people to each other".  I'm not a Slavicist, but the
connection looks possible, particularly given how initial _s_
was often elided in Proto-Indo-European.
That root also gives us Greek _nymphe_ "bride, virgin, nymph"
and nymphios_ "bridegroom".
The dictionary also adds that this root and the *snusos
"daughter-in-law" root likely come from a root *sneu- "to wind
threads together, tie"

Stefan Israel