LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 06.APR.2001 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 18:08:02 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.APR.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Henry Pijffers [henry.pijffers at saxnot.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 05.APR.2001 (08) [E]

This message is in Low-Saxon and in English.

In the light of the discussion on place names in Scots,
I thought of certain placenames in my area. Some placenames
which in Dutch have an -o ending, loose that ending in Twents
(our variety of Low-Saxon), and some don't.

For example:

Almelo -> Almelo

But:

Markelo -> Maorkel
Hengelo -> Hengel
Boekelo -> Boekel

I have seen Almelo written as "Almeloe" in old texts, and I have
never seen the other place names written as such, so perhaps
therefore Almelo is the exception on the thumb rule that the -o
ending is dropped in Twents Low-Saxon.

What I'd like to ask is whether this dropping of the -o ending
happens in other Low-Saxon dialects too (probably) and whether
those dialects have exceptions like Almelo.

regards,
Henry Pijffers

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Place names

[The following *is* in Low Saxon (Low German) and English.  ;) ]

Henry schreev baven/wrote above:

> Markelo -> Maorkel
> Hengelo -> Hengel
> Boekelo -> Boekel

In Noorddüütschland, 'neem de mehrsten Oortsnaams ut 't Neddersassische
(Nedderdüütsche) kaamt, hebbt wi tomindst een Naam, in dat dat _-lo(e)_ ('n
olen Naam för "Wooldland," glööv' ik) ook to _-l_ worren is.  Dat is dat Dörp
in Neddersassen, 'neem mien Süstersöhn Jörn sien Huus hett: Fintel.  Ik heff
lest, dat 't ehrmaals "Vintelo" heten harr.

In Nord-Düytschland, 'neem dey meyrsten orts-naams uut 't Neddersassische
(Nedderdüytsche) kaamt, hebt wy toumindst eyn naam, in dat dat _-lo(e)_ ('n
olden naam vör "Woldland," glöyv' ik) ook tou _-l_ worden is.  Dat is dat dörp
in Neddersassen, 'neem myn süster-söön Jörn syn huus het: Fintel.  Ik hev
lest, dat 't eyrmaals "Vintelo" heten har.

In Northern Germany, where most place names were originally Low Saxon (Low
German), there is at least one name in which _-lo(e)_ (originally meaning
"woodland," I believe) became _-l_ also.  It is the village in Lower Saxony in
which my nephew Jörn's house is: Fintel.  I read somewhere that the original
version was "Vintelo."

Gröten/gröyten/regards,