LL-L: "Orthography" LOWLANDS-L, 06.APR.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 18:10:34 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.APR.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Henry Pijffers [henry.pijffers at saxnot.com]
Subject: Etymology (?)

Dear Lowlanders,

I have a few questions about the _ij_ in Dutch, before it got the
pronunciation it has
nowadays. I don't know whether they can be answered, but maybe someone has
some good ideas or speculations about it.

1. How was it written before the current pronunciation? _ie_, _ii_, _y_ or
_ij_?

2. Was there a difference in pronunciation regarding  the combination _ie_?
Perhaps like the subtle difference (to my ears) between _i_ and _y_ in
Norwegian?
And did the Low-Saxons share it?

3. How did the old Saxons pronounce their y's?

4. According to what I know, in more recent Low-Saxon (i.e. Middle Low-Saxon)
people used _y_, _ie_ and _ii_ in writing. Was there any difference between
these 3,
or could they be used interchangably? Again, how about pronunciation?

I'm in no way an expert (just a very bad amateur...), but it just feels to me
like there
has been a difference in pronunciation, at least in (Low-)Saxon, and perhaps
there
still is a difference, albeit it a *very* subtle one. A while ago a Norwegian
lady was
kind enough to point out the difference in pronunciation between _i_ and _y_
in
her language. At first I didn't get it, she had to repeat it over and over
again, until I
got it (ok, it was over the phone, but still...). I was repeating it to myself
the days after,
and got the feeling that sometimes in Low-Saxon there is the same difference
too,
but then much more subtle, to the point that you don't almost hear it, even if
you
listen very closely.

I'm probaby wrong again, but I like asking weird questions and making awkard
statements. Usually the answers only re
confirm what you already know, but
sometimes it brings new ideas. Hope this is one in the latter category :)

regards,
Henry Pijffers