LL-L: "History" LOWLANDS-L, 09.APR.2001 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 10 03:00:57 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 09.APR.2001 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Kinship"

Bryan Schulz asked:

> So, are you then saying that the migration was generally via
> the merchant/"Viking" ships?  Some sources say the migration
> first went north from the continent of Europe, thru the
> Scandinavian countries and then to the British Isles.

Oh there have been plenty of migrations, let alone continuous
contact short of migration.  The Danes and Norse migrated in
great numbers of Danelaw England etc. in the 900's, a smaller
number of Normans migrated in in the 1100's, merchants have
never stopped sailing the North Sea, Frisians and others have
migrated to England at various times to work in the wool
industry etc.-   my comment meant nothing other than to
highlight that merchant ships have sailors as well as merchants,
and all of them could interact with people in their ports of
call.

Stefan Israel