LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 17.APR.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 14:28:11 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 17.APR.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Place names"

> From: Roger Thijs [roger.thijs at euro-support.be]
> Subject: PLace names
>
> 4. I started listing the municipalities in a table below the maps, and
> investigated for complementary data. Since I have several hundreds of
> municipalities to investigate, for my first round I only managed to get
> a few dozen done this weekend:
> - some municipalities in the very North,
> - the six Voer municipalities (an enclave at the South East)
>
> This gives me problems though: I prefere not to have them listed
> alphabetically, but grouped around the new municipality, they merged
> into. The result is e mess, but semantically more correct I think. This
> allows me to background color alternatively yellow and white for
> grouping what belongs to a "new" municipality.

Roger,

May I suggest that your problems arise from using the wrong technology?

As long as your server supports it and you can do the programming (though it
wouldn't take much programming), you'd be better putting your information in
a database and offering the user a choice of presentations through a
server-side scripting environment such as ASP. This would also allow you to
change things much more easily in the future.

It would also help you to keep the page(s) small! - I just gave up on
downloading the whole thing!

I use ASP for ScotsteXt, although until I've rebuilt the text files as a
database (work now started) it will stay a bit clunky!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.