LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 19.APR.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 20:25:25 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.APR.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Pat Reynolds [pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 16.APR.2001 (01) [E]

Dear Roger,

I have looked at your web page at
>http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/limdorp.htm

You asked about how to display the etymological information, which is
sometimes contradictory.  You could make a separate 'linguistic history'
page for each place name, and link it to the table (this is easily done
in html.  I wouldn't worry too much about the contradictory nature of
the various explanations you have found: You may wish to write some
further pages which give the background to the various authors, so that
visitors to your site can get some understanding of the academic
background of each publication (e.g. how old the source is, whether the
author was a linguist of international renown or the local schoolmaster,
did they have a particular academic bias, or use a linguistic notation
system which needs explaining in detail).

The site was very slow to download (I don't have a very fast machine and
use a telephone modem), and I couldn't see how big the image files were
- is this the cause of the slowness?

The maps could be linked in to table: I think many people will want to
find out about their home town, and will be able to easily locate it on
a map.  Other people (perhaps looking at documents) will find an
alphabetical listing easier.  It's possible to serve both kinds of
people.

There are a couple of sites which you may find of interest:
http://www.ias.berkeley.edu/ecai/
This is the Electronic Cultural Atlas Initiative.  It is interested in
all kinds of geographical data, and has some demonstration projects
which might inspire you.  They are very willing to take tables of
information from anybody about anything cultural which is linked to
specific geographical points or areas - and time points/areas too.

http://www.geog.port.ac.uk/gbhgis/
This is the GB Historical GIS project.  Again, it has some interesting
demonstration projects.  I know that some German areas (I can't remember
whether it was regional or city-by-city) have similar projects.  There
may be something similar in Belgium, either managed by the academic
community (as in Britain), or by the state (as in Germany).  If there
isn't, then I am sure that Someone, somewhere in Europe is thinking of
historical gis work for an EU funding bid, and would be delighted to get
a Belgian partner.  It is a case (as always) of 'I'd like to be a
supporting partner, but can't lead', but if anyone is involved in such a
project, with my work hat on, I can say that Surrey Museums Consultative
Committee would be interested in such a project.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at btinternet.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 18.APR.2001 (01) [E]

At 22:26 18/04/01, +Fr Andreas Richard Turner wrote:

>      "I am looking for the meaning of the word 'quathside' (or perhaps
>even just
>"quath").

I haven't heard the word "quath" before, and it isn't in the CSD.
In "Quathside", it could be the name of a local river or stream.

Does anyone have the full SND to hand?

  Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                                the barra wadna row its lane
  writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
  the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre