LL-L: "Resources" LOWLANDS-L, 22.APR.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 22 19:51:24 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.APR.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: UB82DN at aol.com
Subject: LL-L: "Resources" LOWLANDS-L, 21.APR.2001 (05) [D/E]

Laaglanders,

Orrin W. Robinson, _Old English and Its Closest Relatives_ (Stanford
University Press, 1992) has chapters on Old Saxon (pp. 100-135) and Old
Frisian (pp. 176-198), and should still be in print. I think it was around
$20, or a little more.

Georges Duby, _The Early Growth of the European Economy_ (Ithaca: Cornell
University Press, 1994), also paperback, has some information on Frisians.

Friedrich Kluge, _An Etymological Dictionary of the German Language_ is very
useful, but was published in 1891 and may have never been reprinted.
Etymological dictionaries of English are many, but each seems to have its
particular problems. You might be better of starting with J. R. Clark Hall,
_A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary_ (University of Toronto Press, 1960
[1894]), paperback and in print, and working forward.  (It is a pet peeve of
mine, that words I can find as Old English in Clark are attributed to all
sorts of other languages by later writers.  Perhaps I exaggerate.)

Cheers,
Joe Stromberg