LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 28.APR.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 22:29:51 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.APR.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsley at highbury.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 19.APR.2001 (02) [E]

Guid Fowk,

> (1) 'acquire knowledge/skill' vs 'cause to acquire knowledge/skill'
>
> Scots (no general standard):
> _lairn_ vs _lairn_

There is little doubt that this has become the case in modern spoken
Ulster Scots (and indeed Ulster English) - 'That'll learn ye!' for
example. However, careful writers often use 'lear' or 'leir'
corresponding to English 'teach'. The English adjective 'learned' is
often rendered as 'leart' or 'weel leart'.

> (2) 'acquire on loan' vs 'provide on loan'
>
> Scots (no general standard):
> _borrae_ vs _len_

Here the tendency in Ulster Scots, as is probably the case in other
Scots dialects, is to use a noun phrase. Therefore:

I borrow the book
'I hae a lenn o the beuk' or 'I hae a loan o the beuk'

I lend the book to the girl
'I gie the lassie a lenn o the beuk' or 'I gie the lassie a loan o the
beuk'

'Borrae' is unfamiliar to me in 'broad' Ulster Scots.

> (3) 'be in a (prone) position' vs 'cause to be in a (prone)
position'

> Scots (no general standard):
> _lig/lean_ vs _lay_

In this case contemporary Ulster Scots speech retains the
differentiation between 'lie' (generally pronounced _li:_) and 'lay',
as with standard English. However, the past tense appears to have
weakened in both cases ('lied' and 'laid'). But I must say the verb is
unfamiliar - Ulster Scots speakers would prefer _pit_ or _set_ in most
cases.

Best,
Ian James Parsley