LL-L: "Place names" LOWLANDS-L, 29.APR.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 00:21:58 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L: "Place names"

Thanks for all comment regarding my page with names in Limburgish for
Belgian Limburg.

The page was overloaded with maps, making it very impractical to
download it.
The old page is just a "starting page" now, still at:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/limdorp.htm

I eliminated the maps with the names in dialect, since they were of a
very poor newspaper quality, and since the tables, when finalized in a
couple of weeks, will allow to convert from the Dutch names on standard
maps.

The 1938 map with the municipal names in Dutch is now at:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/map.htm

I added two maps with the new merged municipalities,
one with additionally the main N-S isoglosses at:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/mapisog.htm
an other with the Limburgish dialect subdivisions at:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/mapgroep.htm

I also added a map with the "landscapes" of Belgian Limburg:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/mapls.htm
and a historal one (1543) with the territories of Loon, Limburg and
others.
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/maploon.htm

The lists of municipalities is still very incomplete. As a matter of
fact, I didn't add new municipalities, but I added the names of the
parishes. A parish is quite often a center of a specific dialect
variation. The reviewed status for the North can be seen at:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/kempen.htm
and
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/maasland.htm

(The pages for Haspengouw
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/hasp.htm
and
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/haspe.htm
are just set-up as header for the moment)

For the South-East and special cases:
http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/dorp/voeren.htm
- for "Voeren" the parishes are added
- for the walloon municipalities in annex 1 and 2: the walloon names are
added
- for the Dutch municipalities in annex 2, for as far as they belong to
Nl Limburg, the Limburgish names are added as they appear in: Bakkes,
Crompvoets & Walraven: "Lies van Limburgse plaats en gemeintenamen in 't
Limburgs", no date, xi + 20 pp

In the main page http://www.euro-support.be/langbel/limdorp.htm we made
an "alphabetical index with name-tag reference", for the municipalities
allready listed, to the places, where one finds: the name in Limburgish,
old versions of the name, historical background of the municipality, and
a list of parishes. This index is just set-up for the moment for the
municipalities inside Belgian Limburg, for as far as these allready
appear on the pages.

Thanks for all suggestions,
Regards,
Roger