LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 14.AUG.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 14:09:05 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.AUG.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 12.AUG.2001 (01) [E]

Dear All,

Thank you all for your help with my translation.  I am going to buy the
WNT on cd-rom (when I can find an online bookshop selling it), which
would have given me the current meanings for 'erve' and solved that
problem without bothering you!

The translation of 'ankerhoofd' is my chief concern in the piece
(although the relationship between an area of land and a building,
inheritance and property is interesting too ...).  The anchors (or ties,
clamps or cramps) which are a common sight on many buildings in the Low
Countries (and their colonies and trading partners) are the subject of
my thesis.

I think what this passage means is that if you build, as you may, right
up to your property boundary, you must not let your anchors stick out
over the boundary, but pull them in tight to the wall. Or maybe,
although I think not, that you must use blind anchors.  With blind
anchors, the outer, retaining bolt (schieter or sleutel) is not against
the outer face of the wall, but a slot is cut into the wall so that it
is entirely within the wall, and, if plastered or rendered over,
invisible.  The WNT notes that in W.Vl blind ankers are "verdronken"
ankers - is this right, or is it a typo for "verdroken"?

>From the sense of the passage, I guess that 'ankerhoofd' means both the
bolt, and the loop at the end of the cross-piece, and any knob at the
end of the cross-piece: all that part of the anchor which is usually
external to the wall.

Many thanks again, and best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk