LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 14.AUG.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 14:48:51 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.AUG.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L: "Help needed" LOWLANDS-L, 14.AUG.2001 (01) [E]

Pat Reynolds schreev:

>The WNT notes that in W.Vl blind ankers are "verdronken"
>ankers - is this right, or is it a typo for "verdroken"?

I think that should be "verzonken" (sunk).
Like screws, ankers can be "verzonken",
i.e. they do not stick out from the surface.

regards,
Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Hi, Pat!

Thanks for your explanation of the _ankerhoofd_:

> The translation of 'ankerhoofd' is my chief concern in the piece
> (although the relationship between an area of land and a building,
> inheritance and property is interesting too ...).  The anchors (or ties,
> clamps or cramps) which are a common sight on many buildings in the Low
> Countries (and their colonies and trading partners) are the subject of
> my thesis.

Please excuse my ignorance about architecture, and permit me to ask about this
thing some more.

Are these the iron clamps of which one sees the (oftentimes ornamental) ends
sticking out of the walls of old buildings, those that I (naively?) think of
as holding a building together?  If so, these are also commonly seen in
Northern Germany.  However, I do not know what they are called in Low Saxon
(Low German) or German.  Does anyone else?  _Anker_?

Ha!  I just did a web search and came up with German _Ankerkopf_ ("anchor
head") in the context of architecture, without an explanation, only with
"anchor head" as the English gloss.
(http://www.baulexikon.de/dictionary/german/baudict_bauarchiv/ger_eng_a.htm)

By the way, if these things are what I think they are, then I would assume
that the entire object is called _anker_ ("anchor") and the _ankerhoovd_
("anchor head") is the oftentimes visible clamp head.

Henry wrote (above):

> I think that should be "verzonken" (sunk).
> Like screws, ankers can be "verzonken",
> i.e. they do not stick out from the surface.

That makes sense.  "Embedded" perhaps?