LL-L: "Names" LOWLANDS-L, 20.AUG.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 20 16:20:36 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.AUG.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: Elzinga Surname

Dear Lowlanders,

About two months ago, I inquired if anybody knew anything about my
lastname,
Elzinga.  I know that this name exists in a number of forms, one of which
is
Elsenga.  I believe that the -ga ending has the sense of 'comes from' in
Frisian, thus, the last name could possibly mean 'Comes from Elzin/Elsen',
where Elsen is either a person or a place.

I just recently acquired a map of the Netherlands on which I found a
village
called 'Elsen' which, if I've done my arithmetic correctly, is about 25 km
west of Enschede in the province of Overijssel.  I also found a village
called 'Elzen' which is a little ways South-Southwest of Uden in Nord
Brabant.

Are either of these names likely candidates for the origin of my last name?

Are the names related?
>>From which one of these is my last name most likely to originate?

Both towns seem quite removed from the present day province of Friesland.
Was it Frisian territory at some point in history?

Is the meaning or significance of the names Elsen or Elzen known?

Furthermore, are the names Elsendorp, Elsenerbroek, Elsenerveld, or
Elzenburg related to Elsen or Elzen in any way?

Thank you,
Randy Elzinga
frisiancow at hotmail.com