LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.12.06 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 17:49:55 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.DEC.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Lone Elisabeth Olesen <baxichedda at yahoo.com>
Subject: "Language varieties"

Hello all,

--- Lowlands-L <sassisch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> ===Beginning Translation===
> "Low German became the town's church language, since
> the Danish bord of
> directors had brought in a Lutheran pastor from
> Holstein [1] to serve the
> community in Store [Great] Magleby.  This came to
> rub off on the town's
> language, which henceforth was a mixture of Dutch
> and Low German [2].
> Beginning in 1735, a Danish assistant pastor was
> employed at the church to
> serve churchgoers from Dragør.  Initially this
> stirred up much resistance
> among the Dutch in Store Magleby.  But Danish
> eventually did gain a foothold
> in Store Magleby as well, and the last time a sermon
> was given in the mixed
> German-Dutch language was in 1811.  This mixed
> German-Dutch language also
> served as school language until 1811."
> ===End Translation===
>
> Notes:
> [1] Schleswig-Holstein, now Germany's northernmost
> state, was intermittently
> under Danish rule.
> [2] This "Low German" is the same as the language we
> here often refer to as
> "Low Saxon," not part of German (though that used to
> be the official/common
> view in Germany).
>
> Question:
> Does any of you have access to samples of this
> particular language variety or
> know where I can find such?  If so, please share it
> with me (us?).

Even though I live in Copenhagen, I had never heard
that the Dutch colony in Amager kept that much to
themselves as to have their own priests... A little
further search on the web reveals that there is a lot
of "hobby genealogy" going on in Amager, and the
Dragør Lokalarkiv seems to offer some information and
help also for St. Magleby.
Link to Dragør Lokalarkiv's page (in Danish) on the
church almanaks:
http://www.dragoer.dk/bibliotek/lokalarkivet/sl%C3%A6gtf.htm
They also encourage people to mail questions at:
lokalarkiv at dragoer.dk

As for the word "plattysk", I am afraid this is the
more or less official Danish word for Low Saxon. If I
say "Nedersaksisk" in Danish, it sounds like I am
speaking about the older Germanic languages and not
the present Low Saxon.

Hilsen Lone Olesen