LL-L "Folklore" 2001.12.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 15:39:16 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.DEC.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Dawn Work" <dawn_work at uswest.net>
Subject: Folklore

Thank you, Reinhard, for your translation. It has rather the flavor of the
"Erlkonig," doesn't it?  Actually, it is quite resonant with many other
stories and descriptions of the Wild Ride or Wild Hunt. I am interested in
the word "Helderbult." I have been thinking for several years about the
Norse Goddess Hel, whose name according to some sources derives ultimately
from a Gothic or proto-Germanic word similar to "halja," meaning
"concealed, hidden." It gives us such English words as "helmet." The German
folkloric figure Holla, on the other hand, seems related to the complex of
words that have come down in English as weal/heal/whole/holy. In one Low
Saxon dictionary (or was it Dutch),) if I remember correctly, the
translation for the English word "Hell" was "hal," which meant either
"hell" or "bright."  The "illuminated knoll" that you refer to, Reinhard,
seems to add another level of interest to my questioning. Does anyone out
there have any theories as to which words amongst these all might be related?

Thanks to all,

Dawn Work MaKinne
Des Moines, Iowa