LL-L: "Frisian" LOWLANDS-L, 04.FEB.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 4 21:29:10 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 04.FEB.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Catherine Buma [cpunzy at hotmail.com]
Subject: Frisian Language

All

Before I begin, I'd like to compliment Lowlands-L on being a quality
discussion group.  I've not seen a bit of pettiness or lack of
professionalism that seems to earmark so many other groups.  Keep up the
good work!

I have two questions really but they are both closely related so hopefully
they belong in the same posting. The first is concerning the number of
Frisian speakers that exist today, (By Frisian I am referring to 'West'
Frisian, not Sater or East).  I keep seeing the number 400 000 bandied
about
but I was wondering if this total takes into account the number of emigres
that exist worldwide or if this is just the Netherlands.

My second query is a bit of a curiosity.  I am aware that during the late
1940's and 1950's many Frisians emigrated to Canada, the US, New Zealand,
and Australia, (my parents were among this number, Canada being their
choice).  However, my mother mentioned that there was a region somewhere in

Russia, she wasn't sure where, that spoke fluent Frisian.  Growing up she
was always told to remember to pray for their fellow Frisians in the
Netherlands and Russia.  In fact, she mentioned that a close family friend,

who speaks Frisian himself, claims that his great-grandparents were Frisian

speakers from Russia. Has anyone heard anything about this?  Was this
merely
a group of Frisians who moved to Russia during the 1950's emigration or
does
it predate this time?

If anyone knows anything about this, please drop a line.  I am very
curious.

Thanks

Catherine Buma