LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 19.FEB.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 18:53:56 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Marco Evenhuis [evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 18.FEB.2001 (01) [E/Z]

Criostoir asked:

> I would like to know how far the dominant language in
> a Lowland situation affects the languages we discuss
> here: for example, has there ever been a specifically
> Frisian colour spectrum that has now been imbalanced
> toward Dutch? Or are the two languages too close
> genetically to engender different colour schemes?

As Ron already mentioned, just like for the other Lowland languages, the
Zeelandic colour spectrum is basically the same as the Standard
Dutch/German/English one. They way colours of cattle and horses are
described, are very different though. This might be a relic of an older
colour scheme which was used more generally than just for cattle/horses
once.

Marco Evenhuis