LL-L: "Code switching" LOWLANDS-L, 19.FEB.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 18:59:54 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [roger.thijs at euro-support.be]
Subject: Multi-linguistic environments

For the moment I'm supervising (subcontracted from one of the major 5
auditing offices) an ERP (logistics software) implementation at an
important federal governmental institution downtown Brussels. Never ask
me wether I discussed in French or in Dutch with person ABC: In most
case I absolutely do not remember. We occasionally are switching
language during discussions, without one is aware of the switch.

Semantics is a major issue though: in this kingdom.
Multi-cultural/multi-regional agreements are balanced on thin ropes
above large falls. An issue of today was how to formulate delivery terms
or payment credits of two weeks in screens where people have to enter a
number of days in a text box:
- French speaking people say "dans quinze" jours and enter 15 in the
"d/j" text box.
- Dutch speaking people say "binnen veertien dagen" and enter 14 in the
"d/j" text box.

Issues like this are of an extreme sensitivity, and I unfortunately
cannot give more details of the whereabouts. Somebody may blow it up to
an issue, as: "Walloon suppliers get one more day on payment terms as
Flemish suppliers" and one or another polical fellow certainly will use
it at the proper time for breaking the career of his fellow-friend.

Regards,
Roger
www.euro-support.be