LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 21.FEB.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 15:57:20 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.FEB.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativa

Ron hefft schreven:

> I get a lot of questions about sources for learning (about)
> Old and Middle English [...]
> I know that quite a few Lowlanders are interested and versed
> in Old and Middle English.  If any of you (singly or in teams)
> feel inclined and confident, there is nothing to stop you from
> translating our welcoming page into these language varieties.

I have started sketching out a translation of the welcome page
into Old English and Old Saxon.  I would love to hear from
anyone interested in working with me/critiquing my translation;
feel free to email me directly if you wish:
stefansfeder at yahoo.com.
I have never done much with Middle English and so won't attempt
that translation.

For the Old Saxon, I'm inclined to include this verse _de
Heinricho_, a poem from from circa 940 AD, addressing the Saxon
emperor Heinrich, with my quick translation:

primitus quoque dixit   Toeerst sä he ook:
wilicumo Heinrich       willkamen Hinrich
ambo vos aequivoci      wi beide hebbt den glieken Naam'.
bethiu goda endi mi     Gott un mi
nec non et sotii        un ook Frünn'
willicumo sid gi mi     sünd ji mi willkumen

First of all he said:
welcome Heinrich,
we are both namesakes.
Both to God and to me
and also friends
Welcome you are unto me.

Stefan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Thanks, Stefan!  That sounds exciting, to use a very American phrase.

Thanks to Niels Winther I was able to add two items to our list of offline
material for English
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/english_offline.htm): two
books published in Denmark, in English.  They are the only two items currently
marked as new on that list.

Please let me know if you know of any books or tapes worth recommending, so I
can add them to our offline lists
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/guides_offline.htm).

By the way, these pages are visited relatively frequently.  (A number of other
sites link to them.)

Daily visits (unique visitors) per day on record:

Offline Materials Guides:

                Minimum Maximum
Afrikaans       1       17
Dutch           4       28
English         6       61
Frisian         1       15
Low Saxon       4       44
  General       0       17
  Pre-Modern    0       18
  Modern        1       19
Scots           0       13

Online Presentation Guides
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/lowlands-links.htm):

                Minimum Maximum
Afrikaans       0       67
Creoles         0       10
Dutch           2       38
English         0       18
Frisian         0       24
General         0       13
Low Saxon       0       25
Scots           0       41

It would be nice to have such guides for Limburgish and Zeelandic/West Flemish
as well.

I'll have to find a way of making the links to the online and offline guides
more visible on the homepage, because many people visit the Lowlands-L site
and then send me messages asking what other sites there are and/or what kinds
of books and tapes are available.  I'll work on that.

Thanks for your help, everyone.