LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 15:53:39 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Ron heff fraagt:

> Scots word _dook_ ~ _douk_ 'to dip', 'to bathe', 'to duck'

> the Low Saxon (Low German) cognate /duuk-/ _duken_ ['du:k=N]
> 'to duck', 'to dive (under water, not into the water)',

> Dutch _duiken_ 'to take a dive', 'to plunge', 'to hide (in
something)'

> German _tauchen_ 'to dive (under water, not into the water)'.
> Yet, German also has _ducken_ 'to duck'.  Are we talking about

> two word origins or two?
> Is German _ducken_ a Low Saxon loan?  It looks that way to me.

The Duden Herkunftswörterbuch lists Old High German
_iintu^hhan_, Dutch _duiken_, English _to duck_ and makes the
reasonable suggestion that _dukk-_ is an intensive.  It does not
mention Old High German _fertu^hhen_ "in Vergessenheit
versinken", a strong verb.
It also points out that the English bird the duck presumably
gets its name from this verb.

Thus the original verb would have been *du^kan, which gives us
_duiken_ and _tauchen_, and the intensive *dukjan > *dukkjan.
Usually a strong verb like this should have had -iu- (**diukan),
but some of them simply had long _u_, for reasons unknown, e.g.
_slutan_ 'to shut', _lukan_ 'to close', _bugan_ 'to bend, bow'
Intensives formed from such verbs have just the short -u-, and
the old ending -j- causes the consonant to double, e.g.
*skiotan/skuttjan > schiessen/schützen.
>>From this we get *dukkjan > duck (sort of).  The odd thing is
that you really should get umlaut there: *dükkjan > English
**ditch; I'm not sure why you'd get the long consonant with the
umlaut and palatalization.

Stefan