LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 18:07:11 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Ron wrote:

> I have never come across *_Dalben_ or *_Dalven_ by itself.

I had some vague recollection of some word like "Dolben" or the
like meaning 'peg' (I was thinking of _Dübel_, which is hardly
likely to be related).  While searching in my Duden
Universalwörterbuch, I came across High German (from Low German)
_Dalbe, Dalben_ "Kurzf[orm] von Duckdalbe, Duckdalben".  It
lists _die Duckdalbe/ der Duckdalben_ and "seltener Dückdalbe /
Dückdalben".  Their tentative etymology is to the tauchen/duiken
word and to Dolle < mniederd. _dolle_ "drehbare eiserne Gabel an
der Bordwand zur Aufnahme des Ruders"

It's something of a stretch from _dolle_ to _dalve_, but I can't
think of anything better right off.

English "dowel [pin]" [dau. at l] is listed as coming from Low
German _dövel_, 'peg, block, nail".  Again, it's a stretch to
turn _dövel_ into _Dalve_.

Stefan

----------

From: Edwin Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (03) [E]

At 07:53 AM 02/23/01 -0800, Stephan wrote:
>It also points out that the English bird the duck presumably
>gets its name from this verb.

"What did the Rooster do when it started to rain?"

"He took a duck under the porch"

Sorry, couldn't resist.  Say, Ron, I wonder how this pun would translate
into LS?

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671 http://www.deerhurst.com/jag/