LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 19:35:54 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2001 (045 * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (04) [E]

At 10:07 AM 02/23/01 -0800, Ron wrote:

Sorry, Ed.  It doesn't work, for two reasons:

(1) 'to take a {verb>noun)', 'to go for a {verb>noun}' and 'to have a
{verb>noun}' is uniquely English (and Scots?), I believe.

(2) /duuk-/ _duken_ ~ /duk-/ _ducken_ 'to duck' vs /aant/ _Aant_ ~ _Oont_
'duck' (the bird)

No, I meant the part about the Hahn.  I knew it wouldn't work.

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671 http://www.deerhurst.com/jag/
"More buildings are destroyed every year by termites than by fires"

----------

From: Marco Evenhuis [evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (03) [E]

R. F. Hahn wrote:

> I have always wondered about the Low Saxon (Low German) masculine noun
> _Dückdalben_ ['dYkda.lb=m] ~ _Düükdalben_ ['dy:kda.lb=m] ~ _Duckdalben_
> ['dUkda.lb=m] (pl. same) and if it is related to the former, in this case
> having umlauting in some dialects.  It denotes a group or row of large
poles
> or posts, partly submerge in water, to which  moored ships are tied.

I vaguely remember that this word (Dutch: dukdalf) has something to do with
'duc d'Alve'... See if I can find some more details...