LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 23:02:28 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2001 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Ron wrote:

> Perhaps (*_Dolbe_ >) Modern North Saxon _Doll(e)_ [dO.l(e)] ~
> _Dull_ [dU.l] [...]
> However, I  cannot think of any other instances of
> assimilation of /b/ or /v/ to preceding /l/ (/lb/~/lv/ -> ll),

> while assimilation of /d/ to preceding  /l/, /r/ and /n/
> is common in North Saxon dialects (/ld/ -> ll, /rd/ -> r(r),
> /nd/ -> nn    [...] Besides, _Doll(e)_ ~ _Dull_ is feminine
> (pl. _Dollen_ ~ > Dullen_), and I would expect _Dolben_ ~
> _Dolven_ to be masculine.

On the other hand... part of the High German territory turned
medial [v] <w> into [b], e.g. gelw- > German _gelb_ vs. _geel_
or _yellow_,  or Bavarian Iwein > Iban.
Just as /gelv/ yielded Platt _geel_ (in all dialects of Platt?),
*dolv- might yield _Dolle_, alongside _Dolve_ in other dialects,
and Dolb- in upper Germany.

As far as the gender goes, the word usually occurs in the
plural, making its gender hard to keep track of over time.

Stefan