LL-L: "Language planning" LOWLANDS-L, 24.FEB.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 19:10:36 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at starmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 18.FEB.2001 (01) [E/Z]

At 16:46 22/02/01 -0800, Andy Eagle wrote:

>To a certain extent I agree with you but were not the prescriptive
>introduction of Latin grammar features such as not ending a sentence with
>preposition, avoidance of split infinitives and the 'you and I' business
>'synthetic'? Not to mention pseudo etymological spellings like the <s> in
>island and the <b> in debt etc. What about the numerous vocabulary items
>coined from Latin and Greek roots?

Yes, you could probably justify the use of the word "synthetic"
here, although it doesn't have the same significance as in the
term "synthetic Scots". Deliberately introducing foreign elements
into a language is quite a different thing from creating a new
variety of a language from a synthesis of existing varieties.

My suggestion of "composite Scots" was only that, a suggestion,
and there may be better alternatives such as those that have since
been suggested here. However, I do think we need to lose the
description "synthetic" because, to many people nowadays, it just
means "bogus".

  Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                                the barra wadna row its lane
  writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
  the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre