LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 24.FEB.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 24 19:16:33 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (07) [E]

At 03:55 PM 02/23/01 -0800, Margaret Tarbet wrote:

Have you actually heard 'dunking for apples', Ron (or anyone)?  I've
never.  'Bobbing' and 'ducking'/'dookin', yes, but never 'dunking'.
I only know 'dunk' as a transitive verb, and always in connection
with Germanic culture and coffee (Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Iowa,
Minnesota,Texas hill country).   Anything else (e.g., bread in gravy
or soup, etc.) has always been 'dip', or if in the sense of
'drench':  'sop'/'soop' or 'soak'/'sook'.

>'Dunk' *is* American, isn't it?

I'd almost bet not, just remembering where it was popular before the
telly homogenised everything.  Or if it is American, it's
Lowlandic-American.

Very interesting.  I was surprised at the theory that the word may be
borrowed into American English, since the usage is so pervasive.  We only
say "dunking" for apples at Halloween, and I've never heard any other
variant such as "ducking".  In addition to the coffee shop chain called
Dunkin' Donuts, I've also heard "to take a dunk".  Everywhere I've
travelled and lived in North America, everyone has pretty well understood
and used the verb to dunk, i.e. to dip, and although it has an almost
interchangeable meaning with the latter, yet dunk seems to be used in more
colloquial contexts.  This fact alone would not necessarily point to a
borrowed origin.  However, when I looked for it in my large Funk & Wagnalls
1914 US dictionary, I find Dunkers, but no dunking.  So perhaps it is
borrowed from Rhinelandic or Lowlandic immigrants.

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671 http://www.deerhurst.com/jag/
"More buildings are destroyed every year by termites than by fires"

From: Ethan Barrett [barrett at kitcarson.net]

Intersting!  In the appalachians of Virginia we commonly said bobbing for
apples, but dunking was occaisionally said in reference to the halloween
tradition.  Dunking is used in Virginia when speaking of soup and crackers
or bread or when speaking of cookies and milk.  Oh!  That is interesting!
The British call cookies buscuits. Where did the word 'cookie' come from?
Scotland?  Where before that?