LL-L: "Language planning" LOWLANDS-L, 27.FEB.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 16:42:26 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 27.FEB.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ian James Parsley [parsleyij at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language planning" LOWLANDS-L, 26.FEB.2001 (05) [E/S]

Colin,

Well, I wonder if we're not already down-playing the
achievements made so far by Scots. We have the
'Grammar Broonie', 'Doadie's Bodie' and a whole Scots
course (written by Sheila Douglas) which would be
ideal for schools, as well as 'the Kist' of course.
The real problem is not that the products don't exist,
but that they are not marketed properly (no criticism
meant here - marketing takes initial capital as well).

The issue is that there is little benefit in having
all these things available, if there is not some
agreement on a 'General Scots'. As you suggest, this
would be nothing like as rigid a standard as 'BBC
English' or the French of the Academie Francaise,
merely a set of agreed orthographic guidelines which
could be reviewed after 20 years.

Of course, agreement on these issues is rare - usually
it simply takes one major work (such as a Bible
Translation - although even that wasn't enough in our
case!) whose spellings become widely adopted.

With kind regards,
Ian