LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 09.JAN.2001 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 9 21:38:12 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2001 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha [paada_please at yahoo.co.uk]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 09.JAN.2001 (01) [E]

A chairde,

I often wondered about the etymology of West Frisian
"heit" ("father"), particularly as its seeming
"unGermanicness" in the Paternoster is so striking
next to variations of "vaader" or "Fader". I reached a
theoretical compromise based on my background in the
Celtic languages: I presumed (inanely) that it was a
child word, as is the case with English "Dad" "Daddy"
and "Da". In Breton, Welsh and Cornish the diminutive
or "nursery" form of title - "tad", "tad" and "taze"
respectively - have all supplanted the usual standard
Indo-European root, which has been retained in the
Gaelic versions counterpart to the Brythonic: Scots
and Irish Gaelic "athair" and Manx Gaelic "ayr".

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Críostóir.